Friday, April 27, 2012

Ten Milestones

In this day and era, everybody sets milestones,

Milestone #1 - Have a girlfriend.
Milestone #2 - Get an MBA degree - Irrespective of whether I want to run a business or not.
Milestone #3 - Get a well-paid job – Investment banker, Strategy consultant, sends me around the globe, makes my friends go oooohhhhhhh.
Milestone #4 - Get married – All my friends are getting married. I don’t have anybody to hang out with anymore. Let’s get married and settle down.
Milestone #5 - Build my own house - Everybody is buying a house honey, maybe we should also get one, how long do we keep partying, we should may be settle down – by buying a house in a remote place.
Milestone #6 – Have kid No. 1 – So we have an MBA, a nice luxury car, a beautiful flat so now what next. Hey everybody is having kids, maybe we should too. That way we can settle down finally.
Milestone #7 – Get a better job – We now have bigger mortgage to pay, maybe we need more money, should switch jobs that gets a bigger package.
Milestone #8 – Have kid No. 2 – So everything seems Ok. Let us have another kid. (Because life is getting boring. We need more things to get involved in. More responsibilities, so that we have no time whatsoever to think about ourselves.) And finally we will be able to settle down
Milestone #9 – Get retired. Oh I have worked all my life now that I am retiring I can finally have some fun and settle down peacefully. It has been a long journey, I worked my ass off all my life for my kids who don’t even appreciate it
Milestone #10 – Wait for death and get forgotten.

Is this what we want from life?
 Do we stop and think about all those dreams we saw as a teenager?
Do we appreciate our achievements and take a break for ourselves. (Not the touristy break to an exotic country) but just hang out together hand in hand and have a worry free smile.
Do we stop worrying about money, our investments and mortgages ever?
Do we take some time out to just sip a beer alone and let the night pass by feeling just happy about where you are at present in your life?

It’s not practical to have no milestones or desires. I read somewhere that desire is the cause of creation and destruction, and therefore it is very important for human race to desire.

I just want us to be a bit more happy, a bit more relaxed and live a bit more in the present and not wait to live life till the day of retirement.

1 comment:

Prembhee said...

No more blogs?
They're really interesting. Please post more.